New generation curtain-sided container shows its tougher side
Samskip has committed to enhancing multimodal as a transport option by introducing the next generation of 45ft curtain-sided containers, after full trials of new units designed for enhanced endurance.
The 45ft curtain-sided container meets transportation needs where ease of side access for loading and discharging of goods is a must. However, its unique advantage - the curtain sidewall - can at times also be its weakness, as it is vulnerable to damage compared to a regular 45ft container.
Samskip has worked on improving curtain-sider specifications to achieve the twin goals of better reliability and lower repair costs. Over the last two years, two prototype curtain-sided containers, built in China, have been tested extensively across Samskip's service network.
The new curtain-sided container features improved damage-resistance, establishing further service reliability, through the following design enhancements:
- New top rail – protecting the curtain rail from damages from top and side
- New curtain-runners – top quality and able to resist very low temperatures
- Stronger curtain by integrating reinforced belts
- New type of ratchet (used to tighten and secure the curtain)
- Additional lashing eyes inside and outside the container for better load securing
To date, 150 curtain-sided containers have been built. Samskip intends to phase out and replace older curtain-sided containers during the second half of 2016.
Back to archive